Here is my rant on the Bowl Championship Series…
To me, it is just unrealistic to think that we (humans) are capable of watching 120+ teams play an entire season of football and then compare their results to narrow down the field to 2 teams for the championship game. Simple put, no one person can watch every game and make comparisons. Even if someone could watch every game, very few people, if any, would be able keep track of what they’ve seen to make the comparisons.
Every level of organized football from high school up has a playoff system… except for one. That one level is the premier level of college football. They allow people to vote to determine who gets to go play for the championship. The people voting, sports reporters and coaches. The reporters jobs are to write about local or regional teams typically. They aren’t watching the entire college football world. They might be paying attention to it, but can’t dedicate the time to it because their job is to report. Coaches, have a different problem. They are focused on coaching their teams to a victory each week. They aren’t watching everybody else. They might know their conference, but can’t track all the teams.
My proposed playoffs are this…
- 16 teams
- Automatic bids for all conference champions with 3 or fewer losses. The rational for this criteria is a playoff team should be championship caliber team and that typically means 3 or less losses. Teams eliminated because of this criteria would be eligible for an at large berth if deemed worthy. This would typically only eliminate 1, maybe 2 champions a year.
- Remaining spots filled by at large berths to be decided upon in a fashion similar to what completes the NCAA Basketball bracket. AD’s and conference commissioners meet to select the remaining teams and seed all of the teams from 1 to 16.
- No limits for number of teams from a particular conference.
- No special rules for any independent schools. They have to hope for an at large berth based on their record and performance.
- 1st, 2nd and semifinal rounds played at the higher seeds home stadium.
- Championship game played on neutral site.
- Similar to the basket ball tourney, no reseeding of brackets after each round.
- First round immediately following the season conclusion
- 2nd round weekend after Christmas
- Sem-Final round weekend after New Years
- Championship game the following week
- Teams not in the playoffs would be eligible for “traditional” bowl games.
I think this would have the potential to rival, if not exceed, March Madness.